"I knew I wanted to become a teacher, but I was looking for a stepping stone to ease me into university.
The University Transfer program was the best choice I could have made. I now feel confident as I transfer over to Trent."
--a 2006 graduate
What is the University Transfer Program?
The University Transfer program is an eight-month course of study at Fleming College that allows graduates who meet program requirements to enter directly into second-year university at Trent. Successful graduates may enter Trent with credits in Literature, Philosophy, Psychology, and Sociology.
read more ...
ďIs University Transfer for Me?Ē
Who comes to the UT program? Some of our students left high-school early or didnít take the right mix of courses to apply to university. Others are mature students who want to re-start their education. Still others havenít fully discovered their own abilities and potential as students and thinkers. Students in the program report that they work hard, but also that they succeed in ways they havenít experienced before.
read more ...
University Transfer Faculty
UT faculty have generally taught at universities, including Trent. Many helped with the programís design; all continue to help it evolve and are deeply committed to the success of University Transfer and its students.
Faculty have graduate degrees and advanced training in their subject areas. They also spend a good deal of time talking with one another about what they are teaching and how their students are doing.
Meet the faculty ...
Admission to Trent
To enter Trent in second year you will need to do the following in the UT program:
- Get a 70% overall average
- Get at least 65% in each of Literature, Philosophy, Psychology and Sociology (averaged across both semesters)
- Complete all courses
- If you donít meet the 70/65% standard, you can still apply to Trent.
- You can apply to any university, but advanced standing into second year is only guaranteed at Trent.
- Many of our students take the academic skills and confidence they acquire in UT and move on to college programs at Fleming or elsewhere.
- Play on the national rugby team, enter the insurance industry, take a term off and contemplate life. University Transfer graduates have explored these and other paths.
Help with Writing and Academic Skills
We believe that writing skills are the most important factor determining academic success. Some of the faculty learned this the hard way, but all of us have observed the struggles of students whose ideas arenít expressed clearly, who have difficulty structuring arguments, or who lack an understanding of their own writing process.
Read more ...
University, College, Community College ...
For background about the difference between universities, colleges, and community colleges in Ontario, please click here.